Lynn Dugan- MyPlate2Yours
My latest recipe is as flavorful as it is easy! Colorful, too! Everyday Fiesta Salsa Chicken can be made in a skillet in less than 35 minutes start to table! Make sure you begin to steam the rice at the start of this fabulous recipe to have a perfectly timed meal.
If you like the quick prep and delicious finish of Not Your Mama's Kitchen's Chicken Cacciatore, this is another recipe you will thoroughly enjoy! The recipe pictured above uses chicken thighs. The recipe written below uses boneless and skinless breasts. You can choose either for your recipe. Enjoy!
Everyday Fiesta Salsa Chicken (serves 4)
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into 4 pieces) or 4 chicken thighs
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bell pepper, slice into 1-inch pieces
1 poblano pepper, slice into 1-inch pieces
1 red onion, slice into 1-inch pieces
2 cups your favorite salsa (the brand I use is Jack's. Your favorite brand will work, too!)
½ to 1 cup chicken broth
1-1/2 cups brown rice
Shredded cheese for garnish (Chihuahua, Monterey Jack, or Cheddar)
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Heat oil in a skillet. Add chicken and brown, undisturbed, for 2-3 minutes. Using tongs, flip chicken over to brown the other side for another 2-3 minutes.
3. Add garlic, peppers and onion. Sauté vegetables briefly, scraping the pan for remnants of cooked chicken.
4. Pour in the salsa. Add up to 1 cup of chicken broth until the salsa and broth cover the pan’s contents.
5. Simmer for up to 30 minutes until internal temperature of chicken is 165 degrees.
6. Meanwhile, steam rice in a covered saucepan with 3 cups water for about 30 minutes.
7. Serve chicken over rice. Garnish with shredded cheese. Enjoy!
Use this recipe file to print!