Greek Turkey Skillet with Quinoa
Meal prep is a dream when all your food groups are in one dish. Greek Turkey Skillet with Quinoa delivers: whole grains, lean protein, veggies and dairy. Hooray!
Remember this recipe when you have leftover quinoa. Or, if you need to make the quinoa for this dish, that's easy too: start the quinoa first and while it cooks up in 15 minutes, prep the recipe’s onions and garlic and start browning them with the turkey!
One more thing... one pan (skillet) makes for easy clean up, too. If your skillet is not oven safe, you'll use a baking dish for the final step. Enjoy!
Greek Turkey Skillet with Quinoa (serves 4-6)
2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
1 pound ground lean turkey
½ cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon salt
Red pepper flakes (optional, 1/4 teaspoon)
2 cups baby spinach
¼ cup chicken stock
2 cups cooked quinoa (make from ¾ cup dry with 1-1/2 cup water, bring to boil, cover and take off heat for 15 minutes. Fluff with fork.)
5 fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup feta cheese
4 Roma tomatoes, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. If your skillet is not oven safe, coat 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in small bowl. Set aside.
3. Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add turkey, onion and garlic. Cook until turkey is browned and onion is translucent. Sprinkle with salt and pepper flakes.
4. Add spinach and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently until spinach wilts.
5. Stir in cooked quinoa, basil and feta. Remove skillet from heat.
6. If using the baking dish, transfer the skillet’s contents into prepared baking dish. Arrange sliced tomatoes on top and sprinkle with breadcrumbs/cheese mixture.
7. Place in oven and bake 10-15 minutes until golden color. Serve immediately. Enjoy!